6/18/14

Laser Hair Removal



Today I am bringing you my thoughts on laser hair removal! I apologize if some of this is a bit awkward to read. I feel as if I have learned a lot of information about the process and truly have seen great results. Here's my story: Shortly after graduating high school, I found a cyst in my left underarm that lead me to need surgery. While everything came back benign, I was left with an ugly, awkward scar right in the fold of my armpit. After the scar healed up, it still was somewhat bumpy. This made it interesting to shave and maintain my underarms. I found myself getting rashes and razor burn on the daily. I even had trouble using normal deodorant. So, I first tried using Mederma for the scar and found an all natural deodorant that didn't contain any chemicals, fragrances, and aluminum. However, I still struggled with getting a good clean shave. My mom and I then discussed the idea of laser hair removal. So I gave a local clinical a call, and went in for a consultation. 

At the consultation, the gal examined my underarms and talked about what the process would be like. She discussed the costs and also the time frame of the procedures. I decided to go ahead with it. 

Starting that day, I went back 6 times, with 6 weeks in between each visit. Each visit takes about 10-15 minutes. Upon each visit, you are to arrive with freshly shaved underarms. The technician will use a small hand probe that releases the laser that is attracted to the pigment in each hair follicle. How does it feel one might ask? Uncomfortable. It isn't painful though. The particular tool that my tech used first suctioned itself to the skin, and then upon release, it released the heat of the laser. I never felt much of a burning sensation. I found the suction to be the most uncomfortable. The tech continues to do this across the entire underarm, on both sides. Following the procedure, your underarms will feel a bit raw. There will be cooling gel for you to apply. After 15 minutes or so, I noticed the raw, hot feeling went away. 

I have finished my package of 6 sessions. They recommend this to get the best results. The return of hair growth depends heavily on what stage of growth your hair was in. It is important to go every 6 weeks. If you can't make that appointment, try to schedule one as close to it as possible. This will affect the regrowth. After 6 sessions, it is up to you if you would like to return for a few more, to completely diminish all of the hairs. I have returned for one more session. Most clinics will consider this "maintenance" and should offer this session at a discounted price. 

As of today, about one year later, I have slim to no regrowth of underarm hair. I think I will return one more time though, just to be sure. Not having to worry about my underarms has been very nice. I still shave them occasionally, only to get rid of fair, baby hairs. (The laser is only attracted to dark pigmented hair).  This is not a big issue, especially because those hairs go unnoticed. 

While all clinics costs my vary, I will share with you what my particular package cost in West Des Moines, IA (Des Moines Plastic Surgery). Each session runs at $150. If you buy the six-session package, and pay upfront, you will receive a 20% off discount. $150 x 6 = $900 x 20% = $720 total. My clinic offers the maintenance sessions at half price ($75). If you think about this long term, the procedure doesn't seem to costly for the result you will receive.

If you have ever considered this procedure, I highly recommend it! Clinics are always offering specials and package deals that will allow you to get more bang for your buck. 

I hope this post was helpful and gave you some more helpful information if you have ever thought about having this done!

XO, Carrie

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could afford to laser remove all of my unwanted hair on my entire body! I would do it in a heartbeat. That's really not a terrible price to pay for your underarms, considering what you were going through just to shave them!

    26 and Not Counting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm already wishing that someday I could get my legs done. Wouldn't that be amazing to never have to shave your legs again? Thanks for reading Jess!

      Delete