3/19/13

Beauty 101: Tips and Secrets for a Better Looking You!

While I'd love to consider myself an expert of the field, I am not. I cannot call myself a makeup artist, I do not have a cosmetology degree, and to be honest, I have never officially studied anything specifically beauty related. I like to call myself "self taught" and better yet, just a girl who is obsessed with learning all about the world of products that can make us look and feel like a better version of ourselves.

Growing up, I've always enjoyed reading beauty and fashion magazines, and in the past few years, I have become crazed with watching YouTube tutorials and reading beauty blogs in hopes of learning even more. 

Today, I'd like to share with you a list of helpful tips, reminders, and secrets that I have picked up over time and personally feel are important when it comes to maintaining healthy skin, having a flawless makeup look and looking & feeling great overall.

Skin:
1. DRINK WATER- I'm sure everyone tells you this, so I am going to too. Drinking the appropriate amount of water per day can provide SO many benefits! Not only does drinking water help moisturize your skin but it also increases its elasticity and helps you look awake and bright.

2. MOISTURIZE- Lotioning your skin even a couple times a week is better than none. Just like we get thirsty, so does our skin. Don't deprive your skin of moisture just because you don't feel like taking the few extra minutes to lather it on. In the long run, you will be glad you did! And as far as face moisturizing, I recommend you use a lighter lotion with SPF for the morning and day, followed by a thicker, richer cream for night time. 




[I use Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer & Skin MD Naturals in the morning. I use Origins Night-a-Mins Renewal Cream at night.]

3. ROUTINE- Get into a routine that works for YOU. Just because a product worked for your friend or a beauty guru, doesn't necessarily mean it will work great for you. But when you find the product that does, make sure you get into the routine of using it regularly. If you don't, your skin won't adjust appropriately and the product won't work as effectively. 

Makeup:
1. AGING- Even if you are in your 20's, buying an anti-aging concealer (or any other product) IS NOT bad. Actually, this is a good idea. Anti-aging products are commonly made with a technology designed to not settle into fine lines (or wrinkles). Just because you or I may not have wrinkles, doesn't mean I want my non anti-aging product to settle into my lines (or visible pores). 

2. BRUSHES- If there has been any amazing transition I have made in my all-time makeup routine, it has been the addition and use of foundation brushes. Using a dense and fluffy brush to apply foundation to the skin has changed my life. Sigma has THEE best brushes. I never plan to buy from another brand again. Forget them all. SERIOUS! (check back soon for a NEW post on my favorite brushes!) Not only can you customize your finish of the foundation according to your brush choice, but it is a sanitary method of application. No dirty fingers, old sponges, or mess for that matter. 

3. PRIME- While, a face primer isn't necessary for every day use, I think an eyelid primer is. If you plan to wear a fun shadow look, you best use a primer or your hard work won't be worth it. Not only does a good eye primer make a great base and grab on to the color you lay on top of it, but it also prevents creasing throughout the day. 



[I use Urban Decay Primer Potion in the shade Eden.]

Others
1. TEETH- Using something as little as a whitening toothpaste morning and night can make a world of difference in the brightness and whiteness of your teeth. I have also found the flossing makes for whiter teeth as well! 






[I alternate use of Crest 3D White vivid & BriteSmile toothpaste.]

2. GROOM- If you know me, you know that I think eyebrows are life. Seriously. I could talk all day about eyebrows. If you have bushy, thick brows, you of all people should know how important it is to keep them groomed and cleaned up. However, even if you don't have dark, coarse brows, it is still key to keep them shaped. Light and unnoticeable brows can easily be more visible and dramatic with a little filling in. When your brows are shaped, you have a better guide or stencil to follow. 

3. TRIM- I am guilty of not doing this as much as I should. Being a female with longer hair, I am quite attached to my locks. But as I have gotten older, I have learned the importance of getting a trim. If you are nervous, make sure your hair dresser knows you only wish to cut off the ends, or maybe even a centimeter! Even if you think your hair still looks great after 8-10 weeks, (and it might), you should still get a trim (another happy routine to get into). And in the mean time, use a deep conditioner a couple times a week to keep those ends healthy! :)

I hope all of these tips and words of advice were helpful to you! 
Be sure to subscribe to my blog so you never miss out on whats going on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment